Thursday 2 April 2015

Critical Reflection

Peers and tutor would give feedbacks when we posted our essay drafts on our blogs. Before we submit an essay assignment, we had to share our drafts on our blogs. Peers and tutor would leave comments on my drafts to advice for improvements. I have to give feedbacks to peers’ essay drafts as well.
We had to read our peers’ essays very carefully in order to spot any mistakes in the essays.Some elements we are looking out for in the essays are grammar, structure, spelling and organisation. We also point out if the authors’ ideas were not well conveyed. Our English proficiency plays a key role when we are giving feedback to our peers. For example, since my grammar was not excellent, I would missed several grammar mistakes when I review my peers’ drafts.
Initially, I was very embarrassed to leave comments for my peers because I felt that my English was not as good as them. However, after giving and receiving a few feedbacks, I get used to leaving comments. It is a good practice to give feedbacks to our peers as this spurs our own learning. While reading through peers’ essays, we actually reinforce our learning by identifying others’ mistakes. When I spotted a mistake in my peer’s composition, I would recall if I made the same mistake in my writing. I became more conscious of making common errors in my essays. On the other hand, my peers and tutor could always identify flaws in my drafts. I learned from those mistakes and improved my writings. Also, when others gave me feedbacks, I could gain new insights that I never thought of and include those ideas into my paper.

As a social science student, I always have tons of essay assignments. I will probably find a few friends who are taking same modules as me to give feedbacks on each other’s drafts like what we have done in English for Academic classes. This will helps my friends and I to improve our writings and hopefully achieve better grades for the assignments. 

(344 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment